Wednesday, August 13, 2014

On the Verge of screening play dates

 I feared this day would come but I had no idea it would come at only 6 years of age. Why did it have to happen to my daughter? I just never thought it could happen to a family like ours. It's just too awful. Lord help me, my daughter has discovered the joys of gymnastics. She has perfected the art of the cart wheel and it's been all down hill ever since.

She now spends more time with her head on the floor then her feet. I walked into her room the other day to find her doing a "wall stand" that's all well and good but she was also breaking her mini blinds in the process. She doesn't care who is hit on her quest for the perfect hand stand. Wherever she is and whomever she is around are all in danger of having a wayward leg come crashing down. All the pictures on the wall and knickknacks on the shelves are clinging to life as she slams down on the floor working on her round off. She wakes up in the morning toes pointed, cheesy grin on her face and her arms raised above her head in some glories "stuck the landing" victory pose and it remains all day. I just don't have the heart to tell the poor child she has my sense of balance which is comparable to Humpty Dumpty and only delusions of grace. I thought I was the next Dominique Dawes when I was that age but my God given athletic ability alluded me. I spent more time in casts and splints then a Hollywood stunt woman. Let me paint you a picture. I once broke both of my feet at the same time while snow sledding down a hill in my church parking lot. Both feet. Same time. Done. In my defense it was a particularly icy hill and I really had no choice in doing it or not because it was a Double Dog Dare and as we all know you cannot back out of the double dog dare. I was coming off an ugly lose at kick the can (anything athletic was not my strong suit) and I had to make up for it. I had to reinstate my street cred so to speak. Getting a better picture of what my daughter is up against? Genetics are not working in her favor here. This phase is going to benefit the ER only, and the phrase "ass over tea kettle" rolls through my mind on a regular basis. I've started stockpiling ice packs and ace bandages and hunkering down until this is all over. Let this be a warning to my friends to be very careful who you let your little ladies befriend. 

My daughter has become friends with the sweetest, nicest, little girl around and I love her to pieces. The thing is, this little girl is a gymnast and has been for a long while. She can lay on her belly and bend into a triangle so her toes touch her nose. Take that mental picture in for a moment...Yeah. She can bend in any way imaginable and has the balance of a cat. She has taught my daughter some of her moves and lets just say I think I should start screening these play dates better. I've been looking for obvious dangers but I need to start figuring out their extracurricular activities and their family line too. Question one: Are you now or have you ever been in gymnastics? If yes, Move on! Gymnastics appears to be contagious and this is for my child's safety. (and for insurance purposes)  Question two: Does your family line include Viking warriors?  If yes, Move on! You're family is obviously stronger then mine, we're Irish we don't exert ourselves unless we absolutely have to and tend to fall over for no good reason. Question three: Do you listen to today's pop music? If yes, Move on! I know that doesn't have anything to do with my daughter being as graceful as a baby giraffe but I figure if we are screening we should probably cover all the bases. If I hear my sweet child sing the words to One Directions “Beautiful” one more time I'm making her move out. Yes, One Direction I get it you like girls who don't know they're beautiful, Mine is not for you then, she spends more time in front of the mirror then the evil queen in Snow White. The rest of the questions will be a work in progress as my sweet babe gets older and starts hanging out with new kids. What's next the kid who secretly raises exotic poisonous animals, or how about the kid who rides BMX and has X-games aspirations? Maybe I will get lucky and she will find the little girl who wants to teach her how to knit and encourages her to join 4-H...I'm doomed.I will begin thinking of all my screening questions as of this moment. I will then compile the questions into a book named "50 questions to ask a perspective play date for your child to ensure they do not encourage your child to participate in activities that are beyond their abilities" (The title needs work) and market it to mothers with young daughters and become a millionaire. Then I will finally be able to pay off the medical bills I am about to accrue from my daughter thinking she's an Olympic gymnast. It's not a fool proof plan but it's the best I've got so far. Wish me luck, when I laid my sweet angel down to bed tonight she asked me if we could get uneven bars for the back yard. The adorable sweet and well behaved friend is no longer welcome in this house.


No comments:

Post a Comment